In years past, I’ve struggled with how to approach the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. It doesn’t really fit in with the GYPO philosophy of shopping our closets and making the most of what we have. Plus it gets so overhyped in the blogosphere that posting about it just felt like more “noise”.
Last year, I finally made peace with it after the realization that you want to know how to shop the sale smartly, get the most bang for your buck and add pieces to your closet that stand the test of time. There’s no doubt that the NAS is great for that – it’s the best time of the year to stock up on classic investment pieces that you can wear season after season.
Early access for the 2018 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale starts on July 12th. While I’m not a big advocate for applying for credit cards, this one is well worth getting. Card holders get access to the sale 8 days before the general public and trust me when I say it makes all the difference. NAS items are notorious for selling out quickly. If you don’t have the card, you’ll have to wait until July 20th for sale prices.
Five Tips to Shop Smart at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale
- Sign up for a Nordstrom Rewards card and get a bonus $40 note to spend to stretch your dollars. The card is also the key to getting to shop the sale during early access starting July 12th. That’s 8 days before the general public and before items start to sell out. You get to start using it immediately upon signing up.
- Take an inventory of what you actually need in the following categories: Tops, Bottoms, Dresses, Jackets, Sweaters, Footwear, Accessories, Handbags, Cosmetics. Take the same inventory of your kids’ closets if you plan to do any back to school shopping.
- Shop with a purpose using your list. Don’t make any last minute emotional purchases of things you don’t need.
- Focus on classic basics like boots, jeans, sweaters, coats and handbags. Look for quality investment pieces that will last season after season.
- Sizes sell out fast so don’t hesitate! Especially shoes, so if you spy a cute little suede bootie, jump on it. They’re really versatile and can be worn for fall, winter and spring. I can’t tell you how many times I left something in my cart just to have it sell out.
While I recommend focusing on classic basics and investment items when shopping the NAS, if you’d like to add a few new fall trends, here are ten from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale to focus on.
Ten Fall 2018 Trends to Try
1. Bold Floral – Brightly colored bolder floral patterns
2. Modern Neutrals – Sophisticated pastels with minimalist details
3. Subtle Plaids – Think shades of gray with black
4. Chunky Textures – Boucle and tweed sweaters, coats and skirts
5. Minimalist Accessories – Every day wear pieces in gold and silver
6. Prairie Girl – Cowboy boots, prairie skirts
7. High Waist Jeans – In medium wash
8. Detailed Hems – Frayed, cut outs, etc.
9. Block Heels – A comfy trend for fall transition
10. Sneakers – In fun street styles
It’s Your Turn: Do you shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? If so, what tips do you have to share?
I FEEL PRETTY
It’s the day of the week at GYPO where we celebrate what makes us feel pretty. Whether it’s a new outfit, hairstyle, or makeup, the I Feel Pretty link up is about anything and everything that makes your life prettier. Even if you’re not a blogger, you can still play along. Just tell me what made you feel pretty this week in the comments.
Get on the List!
Get all the latest style + beauty news first!