It’s back to school month which means if you’re a teacher, it’s time to get your closet sorted and ready for work. Lucky for me, I’ve got two of the most stylish teachers I know that are regular participants in the GYPO Style Challenge and who I’m blessed to also count as friends – Gabriella and Natalie. Today they’re sharing their favorite back to school looks and must have’s to get your closet ready for when school’s back in session. Even if you’re not a teacher, I know you’re going to love their style!
First up is Gabriella. Gabriella will be beginning her 25th year of teaching this September and has been a primary teacher in both English and French. She’s been married to her husband Thierry for 24 years and mom to Matthieu who just completed his first year of university in sciences. Originally from Ontario, Canada, she moved to British Columbia when she was 14 and loves to travel with her family.
Gabi says “I notice that I get the most compliments when I’m doing the Style Challenge (of course) or when I follow the rule of four. I feel most put-together yet comfy in skirts or colored jeans with a solid or patterned top and a layer like a cardigan, vest or jacket (bomber/jean/military) and a necklace. Otherwise, when I’m in a rush to get ready, I grab a solid dress (sheaths are a breeze) and add a topper. Easy peasy in a pinch and a rush!”
Tip: Pin this post for some back to school inspiration!
Gabriella’s Teacher Outfit Formulas
Denim Jacket + Tee + Printed Skirt + Long Necklace
Denim Jacket + Sheath Dress + Colorful Necklace
Cardigan + Printed Top + Pencil Skirt +Lace Up Sandals
Striped Top + Short Sleeved Sweater + Jeans + Riding Boots
Striped Top + Utility Vest + Colored Denim + Printed Flats
Denim Dress + Utility Jacket + Riding Boots
Denim Jacket + Gray Tee + Red Skirt + Lace Up Sandals
Follow Gabi’s stylish teaching adventures on Instagram.
Meet Natalie! Natalie has been teaching at the same school in downtown Toronto for 16 years. She met her husband David (who is also a teacher) at the school they teach at. She currently teaches grade 4 and has taught all grades from junior kindergarten to grade 6. She’s been married for 11 years and they love to travel and have taken time off from teaching to travel the world two times! They do not have children of their own but are lucky to have so many wonderful children in their lives.
Natalie says “I like to have things that all mix and match and are very simple to wear. My husband calls it comfortable elegance (sweet man). Teachers need to be able to walk, talk, interact and always look professional. I love that my students notice too – I had one sweet boy in my class last year that complimented me every single day about something different – thinking about his kind heart makes my heart swell!”
Natalie’s Back to School Must Haves
1. A large tote! Here is my go-to. I have it in cognac.
2. Sheath Dresses – a simple dress. They can be patterned or neutral and they are easy to throw on and I truly think they look lovely on everyone. I always wear mine with a neutral cardigan. I love these ones by Leith and I have it in grey, olive and black:
3. Neutral, thin cardigans – I have them in almost every colour – but my go-to is a light linen colour.
4. Dark wash skinny jeans or slacks – I can wear jeans to school but if I do they are always dark wash. These are my go to jeans:
Here is a classic slack that I also love:
5. Blouses – simple and classic. I have lots of colours and love the simplicity of a classic blouse with skinny jeans or slacks. Here is the Portofino from Express:
6. Simple tanks – patterned or neutral with wide shoulders to wear under cardigans or alone if my classroom gets hot! Something like this:
7. Crewneck thin sweater – to be worn with slacks or dark jeans.
8. Flats! I love my Sam Edleman – but Dexflex from Payless is another less expensive option. Here are my favourite (cognac colour) and they go with everything!
9. A simple wedge heel – I need to be able to walk and to be comfortable (therefore not too high) and also stylish:
Back to School Giveaway
One lucky lady is going to win a $300 Loft gift card to get her back to school wardrobe ready + a prize pack of planners from one of my favorite brands Carrie Elle including a Grade and Record Book, a Lesson Planner and a Password Book (you get to choose the covers for each!)
Choose one (or all) of the easy ways to enter below!
I Feel Pretty Link Up
It’s the day of the week at GYPO where we celebrate what makes us feel pretty. Whether it’s a new outfit, hairstyle, or makeup, the I Feel Pretty link up is about anything and everything that makes your life prettier. Even if you’re not a blogger, you can still play along. Just tell me what made you feel pretty this week in the comments.