Beauty Buzz | Chafing Cream as a Primer?
This is a post that I never imagined writing and a comparison I never dreamed of doing. But necessity sometimes calls for drastic measures and that’s exactly what led to this discovery.
Last week, I ran out of my beloved Smashbox primer, the same primer that all of you have heard me sing praises about since this blog’s beginnings. Since I order the jumbo sized tubes directly from Smashbox, I have to wait several days for it to arrive when I run out. Which is why I try to order it in advance. This time, I kept forgetting to place my order and got to the end of my tube without having a replacement.
Panicked, I took to the internet to see what, if any, drugstore brands of primer are comparable to get me through until my Smashbox arrives. Over and over again, the same results came back…and they weren’t for a primer at all.
Instead what I found is a chafing cream, yes, a product to prevent irritation in intimate and delicate areas, is actually an awesome facial primer!
Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel vs. Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
1. It’s inexpensive. At around $6 for a 1.5 oz. sized tube of Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel, it sure as heck beats $36 for a similar sized tube of Smashbox primer. That’s a $30 savings!
2. It feels great. It glides onto skin the same as the Smashbox primer and quickly creates a powdery smooth base for foundation. A little bit goes a long way!
3. It has the same ingredients. The main ingredient in both products is dimethicone which creates a barrier between skin and your cosmetics. Foundation and other cosmetics float on top of your skin which creates a smooth canvas and hides imperfections. It makes your skin look smoother and foundation last longer.
4. It’s non-irritating and doesn’t clog pores. I was afraid my face would break out since I have very sensitive skin and this isn’t technically formulated as a cosmetic product. I’ve had no irritation, break outs or other adverse effects from it.
5. Bottom line: It works the same. It really does. I decided not to re-order my Smashbox primer and plan to use the rest of the Monistat Soothing Care Powder Gel instead.
If you can get past the fact that this is a chafing cream, your cosmetics budget will thank you. I’m all for a budget friendly solution that I can easily pick up on my weekly shopping trips.
It’s Your Turn: Would you be willing to try it out? Tell me in the comments.
BEAUTY BUZZ LINK UP
It’s time to link up your beauty posts for this week’s Beauty Buzz link up. Join me along with Lulu of Simply Lulu Style, Nicole of MomTrends and Janise of Mama in Heels to connect, share and sparkle!
Lulu is hosting this week, link up HERE. We also have a great giveaway going on, so be sure to pop over and enter!