Saucy Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
BY MEAGHAN DAWSON FROM BEAUTYFROMBURNTTOAST
Hi. My name is Meaghan. And I am obsessed with cheese. Whew. There. I said it. It’s out in the open, no more reason to be ashamed. Okay? So I’m only partially kidding. It’s never been a secret and I am not ashamed about this because it is true and valid and, honestly, something I feel is worthy of my obsession.
The Cheesy Truth
Think about it. Cheese is just about the richest, most versatile comfort food on the planet. It can come in a million different forms, flavors, and renderings. It can be served cold or hot. I can take a basic dish and elevate it to idol-like status. And it’s dang tasty, too.
I am a fan of cheese in all forms. I’m not picky. Give me a cheese board for dinner and I am a happy lady. A slice of New York-style pizza oozing with melty cheese? Dreamboat status. Feta on a salad? Game changer. Anyway, any form and I am happy and satisfied.
Especially in this recipe for Saucy Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Meatballs where cheese is the star, the understudy, and the director all at once.
I wish I could take total credit for the dream behind this recipe, but sadly I can’t. I have to give mad props to my equally cheese-obsessed daughter who said one night at the dinner table over a plate of plain old spaghetti and meatballs, “Mom. You know what would be great? What if we stuffed these meatballs with cheese? I mean, talk about AMAZING!”
Out of the mouths of babes….
Because it IS great. There is something so decadent about biting into a meatball covered with melted cheese to find, you guessed it, more cheese. These bundles of heaven are crisp on the outside thanks to the breadcrumb coating and the light skillet sear and incredibly moist on the inside, thanks to the cheese. I serve them with a side of plain spaghetti and more sauce for the family, but I also love to throw in a bit pan of steamed broccoli as well.
Because life is all about balance, Pretties. We know this. No matter how you serve them, I promise you’re going to fall into cheesy love too. So enjoy!
Saucy Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 12 oz fresh mozzarella 8 ounces cut into small squares and 4 ounces sliced thin (or use mozzarella balls for stuffing if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spread ½ cup of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a cast iron skillet OR square casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, ½ cup breadcrumbs, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, and salt, mixing with your hands until completely incorporated (will be sticky!)
- Divide chicken mixture into 12 equal sections, rolling them into loosely formed meatballs.
- In a shallow bowl, add 1 cup breadcrumbs.
- Taking each meatball, flatten to a circle and slightly indent the center with your thumb.
- Insert a piece of cheese and enclose completely with the chicken mixture (might be easier with damp hands). Roll the formed meatball in the breadcrumbs until coated.
- Repeat with all 12 meatballs.
- In a lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat, cook meatballs until lightly browned on every side. Then place in the prepared skillet or casserole dish.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with remaining 1 cup pasta sauce, remaining 4 ounces of fresh mozzerlla and ¼ cup parmesan.
- Return to oven and bake for 10-12 more minutes or until meatballs are completely cooked through.
- Broil for a few minutes longer if you desire the cheese to be bubbly and slightly browned.
Your turn! Are you a Fan of All Things Cheese like me? What’s your favorite way to enjoy cheese?
Meaghan is a wife, mom of three, dog lover, coffee freak, and book nerd. When she’s not wrangling her family and driving them around town in her Mom Taxi, she is a writer, blogger, and recipe creator over at BeautyfromBurntToast. Her biggest passion is helping people feel confident in the kitchen by making cooking accessible with quick and easy recipes that the whole family will love. In a roundabout way, this makes her a wanna be GYPO for the kitchen and explains why she loves the outfit formulas so much. They’re easy and accessible and make life better for everyone.
Get on the List!
Get all the latest style + beauty news first!