Hey guys! It’s spring break week here so I’m taking a little break to spend time with my family. We don’t have anything big planned, just some day trips close to home. But I want to be as present as possible which means I’m cutting back on blogging this week. I still have posts scheduled, I just won’t be doing the Daily Style Diary recap today (last week’s outfits will be in next Monday’s post). I also won’t be doing my regular Instagram outfits this week or responding to comments. Everything will be back to normal next Monday. If you missed any of my previous seven weeks of Daily Style Diary posts, you can get caught up HERE.
In the meantime, Susan at Ava Grace’s Closet is featuring me in her “This is 40” series today. I hope you’ll pop by and check it out.
Also, if you missed it on Facebook yesterday – GREAT NEWS, the black floral scarf is back in stock and it’s 50% OFF!
[Black Floral Scarf]
It’s a spring outfit essential!
And if you missed my Spring Trench Coat Guide last Friday, stop by and check it out. There are some great deals to be had right now!
Happy spring break!
Happy Monday after the Super Bowl! I hope you got your fill of wings and nachos. I’m still cleaning up the kitchen from our party last night. At least there’s lots of FUN stuff on the blog today, so let’s get right to it.
SHAY’S PAJAMA PARTY!
Head on over to Shay’s blog because I’m the special guest for her February Pajama Party today! If you haven’t seen her monthly pajama party feature yet, you have to check it out. It’s one of my favorites in all of blog-land. Stop by to see me in my PJ’s and read all about the ways Shay and I celebrate Valentine’s Day with our families. With Shay involved, you can guess there will be lots of talk about food, fashion and family! Speaking of food, be sure to check out her Meal Planning Monday on her foodie blog too.
DAILY STYLE DIARY
If you’re new here, welcome to my Daily Style Diary. On Monday, I compile my daily pics of my casual everyday outfits that I’ve posted on Instagram this past week, along with links to what I’m wearing. I’d love to have you follow me over there to get the daily looks live. You can also check out more of my recent outfits HERE.
Brr…it was a cold one, so I went for warm and comfy with a fur snood, layers, fleece leggings and penguin socks, of course!
[Sweater/Fur Snood/Fleece Leggings/Boots]
Another cold day, another day for leggings! I kept warm on my trip to Target in my Aztec cardigan, striped tunic, leggings and boots.
Wednesdays are barn days when Ava has her riding lesson. She always tells me to wear the right shoes, probably because I got one of my leopard flats stuck in the mud a few weeks back. Lesson learned, I’m wearing wellies from now on.
When I saw this pretty green cardigan at Target, I had to have it. It makes me feel like spring isn’t so far away!
TGIF! Craig and I met my sister and brother-in-law for dinner and cured my craving for some brisket tacos. Yum!
[Sweater (On Sale!)/Similar Scarf/Jeans/Boots]
Snippets from our daily life.
- Muddy barn boots on the front porch seem to sum up life lately. Craig and I have been on the go with the kids non-stop! I need a full day to tackle some projects around here and get some cleaning done this week (including getting those boots off the porch).
- Wink & Winn sent me this adorable welcome kit last week along with their 3-in-1 crossbody bag. I’m in the process of designing my own custom made bag with them and will share the process with you in a coming post. This is one of the coolest concepts I’ve seen in a long time!
- Our sweet Aubrey turned 15 on Saturday. We celebrated with dinner at her favorite German restaurant and then picked up an assortment of little sweets on the way home. This girl loves sauerkraut but doesn’t like birthday cake. What is wrong with her? 🙂
- New Bath and Body Works scent alert! I picked up the new Golden Magnolia Sun lotion and shower gel over the weekend and oh my gosh, it smells so good. I’m also loving the Violet Lily Sky too. Have you guys smelled them yet?
You can see more of my Daily Mom Style outfits HERE.
It’s Your Turn: How’s the weather in your world this week? Are you getting spring fever yet?
Getting my pretty on with Fashion Friday, The Pleated Poppy, Style Sessions, Totally Posted Tuesday, Intentional Living and Monday Mingle.
Having a 14 (almost 15) year-old daughter in the house is actually pretty great for helping me dress my age. Every time I try a new trend, I ask for her input and she’s more than happy to give it. I do this not only because I want to look age appropriate, but also because I don’t want to embarrass her with what I wear.
You’d be surprised at what humiliates her these days. I can’t do the robot in the car anymore, she hates it when I sing in the aisles at Target and she was completely dismayed when I danced in a flash mob at her high school pep rally. OK, I need to defend myself on that last one. In all fairness, humiliation was the goal but her older brother was the intended recipient. The senior football moms wanted to do something really memorable for our sons at the last pep rally of the year. We chose maximum embarrassment by doing a flash mob. It worked really well.
At any rate, I won’t embarrass her or myself by dressing inappropriately for my age. That’s where I draw the line. But where is the line between looking on trend and dressing too young? It gets a little blurred especially when we sometimes shop at the same stores and share clothes.
But I’ve discovered that the key to keeping pieces age appropriate is really simple. It’s all in how you pair them up.
Let’s take this sweater for example.
[Back Hole Knit Sweater]
Aubrey and I each styled it in our own age appropriate ways. I picked out more sophisticated pieces like plum jeans and a long necklace with ankle boots, while she opted for a youthful look with bright jeans, a scarf and combat boots.
[On Alison: Sweater: c/o Persunmall/Jeans/Necklace (Similar)/Earrings]
[On Aubrey: Sweater: c/o Persunmall/Scarf/Jeans/Boots]
[Bracelet: c/o Ettika – Get 25% off site wide at Ettika.com with coupon code EXCL25]
It’s Your Turn: How do you define age appropriate style? Share your tips in the comments.
I FEEL PRETTY
It’s the day of the week at GYPO where we celebrate what makes us feel pretty. Whether it’s a new outfit, hairstyle, or makeup, the I Feel Pretty link up is about anything and everything that makes your life prettier. Even if you’re not a blogger, you can still play along. Just tell us what made you feel pretty this week in the comments!
There are just a few simple rules:
1. Follow GYPO. (Bloglovin‘, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest)
2. Link up your pretty post.
3. Link back to my blog (using the button above or your own link).
4. Visit other pretty peeps.
Getting my pretty on with Fashion Friday.
Wow, thank you so much for the overwhelmingly positive response to my daily style pics! It’s been fun documenting them on Instagram and sharing them here. I’m glad you like them.
A lot of you have asked what I’m wearing, so I’m going to start providing links to same or similar items under each outfit. Some pieces are last season or older but I’ll try my best to find suitable substitutes.
Without further ado, here are last week’s outfit entries into my Daily Style Diary.
A pleasant day in the 70’s! I wore a sheer polka dot blouse with a layering tank, my favorite skinny jeans from Forever 21 and leopard print flats to run errands.
Brr, it got cold quickly. For lunch with a friend, I wore this gray and cream sweater with a layering tank, plum coated denim skinnies and a long tassel necklace.
An afternoon at the horse barn called for a long sleeved tee, boyfriend cardigan, gray skinny jeans and Hunter Wellies. I wore the necklace to run errands but took it off before we went to the barn. Ava was so happy that I wore appropriate footwear for chasing horses in the pasture. I was too. 🙂
Awards assembly at the elementary school. Gray cashmere sweater, white button down, blush jeans, statement necklace and riding boots.
Took Chick-fil-a lunches to both of the girls at school. I wore my new beige sweater from Scissortail Clothing and scarf from Bindya NY with my favorite Paige jeans.
Some snippets from our daily life.
- Still waiting to hear back from Devon’s first choice college. He’s gotten two acceptances so far and has a perfectly fine back-up plan…that’s also closer to home. 🙂 But it’s nerve wracking to check the mail every day. Tom Petty was right, the waiting IS the hardest part.
- Ava got three semester awards last week – one for A/B honor roll, one for Stellar Scientist and one for helping out in the office. Super proud of her!
- We’ve been trying to eat cleaner this past week. For the most part, it’s been OK but now I’m starting to feel like I will rip someone’s head off if I don’t get some Mexican food!
- Bailey, our golden retriever, got a trip to Petsmart for a shave down, nail trimming and teeth cleaning. She also got a big pink bow when she was all done. Good girl.
It’s Your Turn: What’s going on in your world this week?
Check my other Daily Mom Style outfits HERE.
Getting my pretty on with Fashion Friday, Totally Posted Tuesday and Style Sessions.
Well, hello there white jeans! Oh, how I’ve missed you these past few months.
So much so that I went crazy the other day pinning white jeans outfits for spring. Then it dawned on me, why not wear them now? So that’s exactly what I did.
[Shirt: Rue 21/Jeans: Target/Necklace: Rue 21/Earrings: Target/Bracelet: Rue 21/Watch: New York & Co./Boots: Target]
It’s time for the I Feel Pretty Link Party!
Link up your outfits or anything else that makes you feel pretty. There are just a few simple rules:
1. Link up your pretty post.
2. Link back to my blog.
3. Visit other pretty peeps. That’s it! Let the fun begin. ‘);
Getting my pretty on today with The Pleated Poppy, Because Shanna Said So, Stylelixir, Transatlantic Blonde, Create, Hope, Inspire, Rolled Up Pretty, Look What I Got, Aloha Friday, Long Distance Loving